[Tagging] webpage=*

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 13:35:16 UTC 2021

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 13:12, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/03/2021 12:26, Paul Allen wrote:
>
> > I wondered if the person had happened across the newly-added
> > holiday cottage by accident or was using some sort of tool to
> > catch things like this.
>
> Almost certainly the latter,

The first time he/she changed it, it could have been a coincidence.
The second time makes it appear a tool was used.  The user's
changesets make it almost certain a tool is being used.

> but I bet if you ask them, they'd tell you
> exactly how they detected it.  That user does reply to changeset
> discussion comments.

Didn't respond to my changeset comment to change my mind or
argue his/her case.

> > 1) Does what this user is doing constitute good practise or not?
>
> In this particular case, that depends on whether the community thinks
> that "webpage" is an exact synonym for "website" or not. This list is
> probably the best place to discuss that.

Which is the reason I asked.  I first saw it mentioned here and nobody
objected (or I missed the objections).  But it was a side-issue in a long
thread so maybe people missed that mention.

> 2) Is there sufficient excuse to document webpage=* as
> > "in use" (with suggestion to consider using website=*
> > where appropriate) given that it was, prior to war being
> > waged upon it, actually in use?
>
> That's a bit of a stretch, to be honest.  According to
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/webpage#chronology , it never got
> above 150 uses worldwide, and that was a "blip" in 2013.

If you look at it closely, there is a phase of growth up until 2012, when
it looks
like somebody removed them all.  Then there was a big surge at the end
of 2012, followed by mass removal in 2014.  Then another phase of slow
growth
between 2014 and 2020.  Followed by more warfare and then sporadic
outbreaks.  Assuming none of that is some sort of artifact of the system.

If nothing else it probably ought to be documented with "use website
instead"
if that is the conclusion here.  Or maybe we need a status "was in use
until somebody waged war on it."

--
Paul