[Tagging] Proposal - Library of things and Tool library

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 17:26:05 UTC 2021

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 14:35, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> Library is not latin, and it labels a place to borrow books in BrE.

I mentioned Latin only because, earlier in the thread, somebody called
Tom Pfeifer appeared to be arguing that the Latin root of "library"
precluded using it for anything else when he wrote 'The term "library"
is based on the Latin liber for book or document,  contained in Latin
libraria
(collection of books) and librarium (container for books).'

Interesting although the etymology of "library" may be, what counts is
how the word is currently used in British English.  We tag in British
English, not Latin.  What the Latin root meant is irrelevant.

Using BrE as a basis for tagging does not mean we need to use any marketing
> slogan
> or euphemism.

This is the second time you've claimed it is a marketing slogan but there
has been no marketing drive I am aware of.  It is the adaptation of an
existing term.  An unfortunate one, perhaps, but one that has already
happened.  Toy libraries have been around for several years.  That's
what they're called, that's what people know them as.  Tool libraries
are more recent, but that's what they're called, that's what people know
them as.

If people want to find the nearest tool library, they will search for "tool
library."  When they get there, they will likely be looking for signage
that includes the words "tool library."  I do not see merit in forcing
people using (say) overpass-turbo to look for tool libraries to use
a completely different term.

> In analogy, while amenity=McDoughnuts would be BrE, and the facility the
> pun is targeted to is commonly used, we would tag amenity=fast_food on top
> level.

"Tool library" is not a brand, like McDonalds.  It is an umbrella term used
by many independent organizations.

--
Paul