[Tagging] webpage=*

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 13:56:31 UTC 2021

On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 at 13:01, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <
bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like Zeke's simplicity though. However url might be to technical and
> source for confusion again with URI (
> https://danielmiessler.com/study/difference-between-uri-url/).
> Why don't we use a common word for url / website / webpage, like
> webaddress=* or internet_address=*.
> Everything can fit there.

Everything you look at in a web browser that uses the https: scheme is a
web page (neglecting some quirks like covert VPNs).  Whether we call it
website=* or url=* or webaddress=* you land on a web PAGE.  You don't
land on a web site, even if it is website=example.com, you land on a web
page.  Many things other than web pages can be specified as URLs,
such as phone numbers (if you use the query tool on standard carto to
look at an obect with phone=*, the link given for the phone number is
a tel: URL).

So, if we wanted to match actual technical (and common) usage of the
terms, we'd replace website=* and url=* with webpage=*.  Yet the terms
that are incorrect are documented (and one of them is recommended)
whereas the term that is correct is undocumented and has a user waging war
against it.  Go figure.

--
Paul