[Tagging] Difference between busways and bus-only service roads

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Sat Mar 20 15:45:24 UTC 2021

Hello,

Le 20.03.21 à 16:08, Colin Gzesh via Tagging a écrit :
> differentiate between busways, and bus only service roads.

I see 3 usecases :

- small service road, for eg between bus depot and main road
-> highway=service (service=driveway ?)

- normal road restricted to bus (and sometime taxi, bicycle)
-> highway=<the type of the road that you use if the traffic sign
isn't there, for exemple highway=residential)

- roads built especially to carry buses over long distances :
I share your opinion that the current highway=service tag is not at all
adapted (service describes the lowest use in the hierarchy while here it
is transit traffic, i.e. quite high in the hierarchy).
Where I have a different opinion than you, is to propose a new value,
whereas if I had met one, I would have tended to choose a transit value,
for example highway=tertiary because I don't think it's useful nor
coherent to have different highway= values for each type of vehicle (a
special road for the transit of taxi, trucks, buses, articulated buses,
trucks with trailers, gas buses, electric buses, ...)

if there are access restrictions (for the 3 cases) access=no,
and bus=yes/designated bicycle=yes, ...

Regards,
Marc