[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Discouraging the use of deprecated schemes

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Mar 21 11:44:22 UTC 2021

Hi,

the reason that the wording on the wiki is usually weak is that there is
only a handful of people who control what goes on the wiki and this
handful of people does not have authority.

A handful of people deciding that "we would recommend to use another tag
instead of this one" is just about acceptable.

A handful of people saying (and I quote your draft) "It is highly
discouraged to use or interpret this tag" crosses a line.

Who are we here on the tagging list - who are those 20 or 30 who might
participate in a vote - to decree that something is "highly discouraged"?

If you want to go down this route then you need to drop the
authoritative "it is discouraged" language and instead say: "The
following group of 30 people think that you should not be using this tag
any more", with a link to the vote. (And allow others to add a banner
that says "and here's another 30 who think differently").

This tagging list and the whole wiki voting system are good enough to
make (weak) recommendations, but they are not good enough to "highly
discourage" anything or make binding decisions. Before doing that you
need to overhaul the whole mechanism that would lead to such a "highly
discouraged" verdict. You would have to ensure that people from all over
OSM could participate in the discussion and vote (including those who
don't speak English).

I don't think this is a proposal that can even go forward. The group of
people that would eventually be voting does not have the authority to
make that decision. If this vote were carried through and you were to
put a "highly discouraged" banner on every page that describes a
deprecated feature, I might have to put another banner on top of that
which says "the wording of the following banner is disputed in the OSM
community".

Bye
Frederik