[Tagging] Voting tombs proposal

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 12:01:00 UTC 2021

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 at 11:41, Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com> wrote:

> And so we can still use historic=tombs for tombs with historic
> signifiance and man_made=tombs for tombs without a historic signifiance

Shouldn't both of those be singular?  In any case, I'd prefer
man_made=tomb + historic=yes to historic=tomb.  Having both
historic=tomb and man_made=tomb complicates matters with
regard to editors in that searching the presets for tomb will
give two alternatives: some users will choose one at
random, or whichever is presented first in the list, or
decide "It's old so it's historic" (by that definition, everything
is historic).

Having two keys for the same object is likely to lead to
misuse, confusion, and (eventually) one key being dropped
because, rightly or wrongly, one key gets used far more than the other.

Keep it as man_made=tomb and those users who know it to
be of historic significance can deliberately add historic=yes.

--
Paul