[Tagging] Cemetery / Inclusion of parking

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Fri Mar 26 09:04:34 UTC 2021

On 25.03.21 22:22, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> i got into a discussion whether cemetery parking belongs within the
> landuse=cemetery (Which i think it does) and the mapper changing
> that pointed me to tag:landuse=cemetery which does indeed state
> that "nearby parking" should not be within that landuse.

I would not include cemetery parking in landuse=cemetery.

> IMHO this does not make sense when in a landuse=retail the parking lots
> are _within_ the landuse, and in case of landuse=cemetery they are not.

The reason for this discrepancy is that the landuse key is a mess, and
many of the values aren't "real" landuses. For example, landuse=grass is
actually a landcover, and landuse=cemetery is more like an amenity.

If landuse=cemetery were to be used as a true landuse, we would need a
cemetery equivalent to shop=*. At the moment, we're using
landuse=cemetery in the role that shop=* occupies for retail (i.e. to
map only the core facility, not the parking and such).