[Tagging] Cemetery / Inclusion of parking

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 10:52:26 UTC 2021

In my opinion landuse=cemetery should only be used for the actual land
where human remains are burried, preserved above ground or human remains
as ashes are kept in urns or spread. Cemeteries are not attached to a
place of worship, for those we have grave-yard. It is in my opinion a
vary valid landuse tag, not an amenity, as in many countries, cemeteries
are individual or multiple graves on private land. Often and most
culturally not accepted to construct a road, a parking or other landuse
without relocation or acceptance by the descendants and/or local community.
The definition says it should not include parking areas, but does
include inner green spaces.

The diversity however of what kind of other land uses can be found on
cemeteries is very diverse world wide. It might even contain larger
buildings (not churches etc...) like cafeterias, playgrounds, caretaker
premises, roads, ... .
So I would propose to use the cemetery tag only for those places
actually used or destined to be used (like the inner green spaces, which
might be further detailed with natural=* or landcover=* polygons and
tags), other facilities and infrastructure to be mapped and tagged with
their most appropriate landuse=*, amenity=* and highway=*.

To designate the whole place as being part of a "cemetery" as a
distinguishable and single land managed as a cemetery, one should use a
boundary relation, with boundary=protected_area protected_class=21
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:protect_class
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:protect_class>).
You might consider even to specify a specific boundary value for
protect_class=21 as is proposed for forestry areas.

Greetings,

Bert Araali