[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Process tanks.

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 14:46:15 UTC 2021

For the 3 types of process tanks described in the proposal (clarifiers,
aeration tanks, and oxidation ditches), they are usually open on top and
have clearly distinguishing features that make them easy to identify on
imagery, once you know what you're looking for.  The annotated photos in
the proposal were developed specifically to provide that helpful guidance
to mappers.

For some other (as yet unspecified) type of process tank which may exist,
the answer is no different than for any other feature on the map which is
hard for an armchair mapper to identify: use the surrounding context,
research the facility, and make an educated guess.  Or, a mapper can simply
say "I don't know what this" and leave it unmapped until someone with more
knowledge comes around later.

In some cases, this information is available in public sources.
For example, in The Netherlands (where my co-author is from, and where
water infrastructure is a pretty big deal), there is a public GIS source
that has data on process tanks at water treatment facilities.  The fact
that these features might be hard to identify in some cases or in some
places, should not preclude more specific and accurate tagging in places
where the information is known and/or readily available, or where these
features *are* easily identifiable.