[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Process tanks.

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 16:13:42 UTC 2021

I don't see any added value for OSM to make a new top-level value for
process tanks.

As an engineer, I can say that any process tank, depending on the stage
in the process, is a storage tank. Even if you would take into
consideration, that due to what appliances it has or how it is build,
doesn't give you a clue of whether it is used as a process tank or just
a storage tank.
Many get disused for, primarily processing, others don't. Especially in
water sewage faculties it is often difficult, even for me as an
engineer, if it is still in use as a process tank, intended to be a
process tank (because some storage tanks we just add f.i. an aerator and
it becomes a process tank ?).  Now you expect that this tag is going to
solve this problem, an issue where even experts disagree many times.
A tank is just a tank, add some attributes to it if you are sure and
have seen proven that it is used for more then just storage, then add
attributes to it like in a process=* tag.  Essentially nothing is wrong
to keep it under other top level tags, being it water=reservoir, basin
or pond or man_made=storage_tank.  They all can become a process tank
somewhere in the processing of the fluid, they all are just storage
tanks in some stage of the processing. Keep it simple.

Greetings,

Bert Araali