[Tagging] Recycling of PET beverage bottles

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Sun May 23 09:05:48 UTC 2021

Hi Raphael,

On 22.05.21 23:05, Raphael wrote:
 > In my opinion, it is useful to know which recycling facilities only
accept PET beverage bottles and with facilities also accept other
plastic bottles (and which facilities accept PET in general or plastic
in general).

Yes, absolutely. It makes a lot of sense to have this distinction.

 > He thinks that contributors are not aware of the difference between
plastic bottles and PET beverage bottles

That's not correct. I wrote that mappers are not aware that there are
two different tags now and will continue to use the tagging they are
used to. And this tagging will be wrong in many cases, so it has to be
checked in detail.

 > i asked on the wiki if a new tag should be used for PET beverage
bottles. [2] One contributor answered me and recommended me to do so.
I've then started to use the tag recycling:PET_drink_bottles=*, which i
documented on the wiki. [3]

This is all fine, but there is still a problem.
There are two well-known tags (plastic_bottles and PET) which are in use
since years and which got partially replaced by the new tag. So,
everybody who searches for plastic_bottle as they did in the past years
now misses POIs because this tag was removed and replaced by the new
PET_drink_bottles. E.g. https://openrecyclemap.org/way/266776739 is not
listed as accepting plastic bottles any more.

 > In my opionion, contributors that are interested in recording
recycling facilities are aware of these differences (as most people
using these facilities are, too). Besides, the name of the tags are
clear and they are clearly definied on the wiki.

No mapper checks the Wiki for changes every time they add a tag
somewhere or look up some data in the database. There was a mail about
the changes sent by the Wiki to very few people - only those who have
this page on their watchlist AND visited it since the last change of the
page, i.e. within 25 hours before your addition.

Additionally, this is just one line in a huge table which can be missed
easily (like it is done for most other recycling tags, unfortunately).
There should be a page for this key (at least a redirect to the main
recycling page), so that all the tools (e.g. JOSM - right-click on Tag -
Wiki or Taginfo) can show the page with the definition.

This is no critical issue about your particular change in tagging, but
more about the general fact that important changes to tags are edited
very silently in the Wiki and it takes ages for other mappers to notice.
I think that newly introduced tags should be at least announced here on
the mailing list - clearly there is no need for a full proposal and
voting in cases like this, but a simple email would help a lot.
E.g. those people working on presets in editors should be aware of it -
after all they are the ones who "spread the word" to the typical mapper
who is not too involved with tagging details.

Jan