[Tagging] Clothes Line Dryer

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 08:44:47 UTC 2021

On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 08:56, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:

>  There is a small number of amenity=clothes_dryer with wiki pages... https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dclothes_dryer

It's not wrong.  The device is for drying clothes.  But it may be
misleading.

>  To me a 'clothes dryer' is a mechanical machine that drys clothes - see 'tumble dryer - wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothes_dryer.

To me, that is a tumble dryer. Which comes under the more generic heading
of "clothes dryer."

>  What is shown on OSM wiki to me is a 'clothes line' see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothes_line.

The example on that page is a clothes line (for drying clothes, so is a
clothes
dryer).  However, there is another picture at the top-right of the page
which
isn't a simple line but a frame.  I wouldn't call that a clothes line.  I
suspect
where they have been mapped, many of them will be frames rather than
lines.

>  Should this be changed ... as that would better indicate what is being tagged?

These days, Indoor passive devices for drying clothes have a variety of
names, usually "clothes airer" or "clothes air dryer."  Back when I was
a child there was only one style of indoor airerwhich somewhat resembled
a saw horse so was called a clothes horse.  But there are many designs
today which are more like umbrellas without the fabric, for which the
term "clothes horse" is unsuitable.

I'd say "clothes dryer" is good enough.  On an outdoor location it's
unlikely to be a tumble dryer.  But if it were, it's still a clothes
dryer.

--
Paul