[Tagging] How to tag an industrial breeding facility?

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 09:01:49 UTC 2021

On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 01:26, António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com>
wrote:

> I know the name of these buildings in Portuguese, but I have no clue about
> their name in English to use it in OSM tags.
> In a quick search I found references to "pig sheds" and "poultry sheds".
> https://www.epack.in/poultry-shed
> https://www.smartshelters.co.nz/livestock/pig-sheds-housing/
>
> As Joseph has already remarked, that would be "pig sty" and "chicken coop."
Except the last time pigs were discussed it was pointed out that a pig sty
is
an open-air area, not a building, so "pig shed" is probably correct.
However...

Would this be a better solution?

Pig shed and chicken coop are better, but I'm not sure they are correct.
To my mind, pig sheds and chicken coops are relatively small buildings,
not big meat factories.  It is the names used in the agricultural industry
for those large-scale operations that I'm unsure of.  Maybe
building=factory is the way to go, relying on other tags to indicate
what they produce.

--
Paul