[Tagging] How to tag an industrial breeding facility?

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Thu May 27 11:47:27 UTC 2021

Correct, seems to be that sty is used only for pigs, looked it up in the 
dictionary, sorry for the confusion.  English seems to have a specific 
word for the housing of every different kind of animal.
Did some searching on agricultural sites and a common term seems to be 
"confinement" for the building or "animal feeding operation" abbreviated 
as AFO for the facility.

"Sustainable food advocates often call these operations /factory farms/, 
while people in rural areas where they are common call them /confinements/."

"Industrial livestock production has become so far removed from the 
natural cycle of farming that laws and regulations no longer refer to 
these operations as farms, but /animal feeding operations/, or AFOs. The 
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates AFOs, defined as 
“agricultural operations where animals are kept and raised in confined 
situations.” ^2 

The definition continues:

An AFO is a lot or facility (other than an aquatic animal production 
facility) where the following conditions are met:

  * animals have been, are, or will be stabled or confined and fed or
    maintained for a total of 45 days or more in any 12-month period, and
  * crops, vegetation, forage growth or post-harvest residues are not
    sustained in the normal growing season over any portion of the lot
    or facility. ^3

A concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO) is a very large AFO, 
housing “more than 1000 animal units (an animal unit is defined as an 
animal equivalent of 1000 pounds live weight and equates to 1000 head of 
beef cattle, 700 dairy cows, 2500 swine weighing more than 55 pounds, 
125 thousand broiler chickens or 82 thousand laying hens or pullets).” 
<https://foodprint.org/issues/raising-animals-industrial-system/#easy-footnote-bottom-4-447> Additionally, 
“any size AFO that discharges manure or wastewater into a natural or 
man-made ditch, stream or other waterway”rather than spraying the waste 
indirectly on fields, is defined as a CAFO. ^5 

Cattle, hogs, chickens and turkeys are the most common livestock raised 
in confinement operations; but other types of poultry, as well as sheep, 
goats and rabbits, are also being raised more and more this way."

Both from 

So building=confinement + new or industrial landuse tag since they are 
no longer called farms, landuse=animal_feeding_operation ? Or 
landuse=industrial + man_made=animal_feeding_operation ?
We once had landuse=livestock deprecated in favour of landuse=farmyard. 
Personally I like landuse=farmyard + man_made=animal_feeding_operation., 
keeps it more related to agricultural activity then pure industrial and 
often it's hard to determine the difference by just looking at the facility.

The facility also contains other structures like lagoons or underground 
reservoirs for manure, silos to store the feed, and might even have 
barns and sheds for equipment or other animals. Pens (where some animals 
can walk outside the confinement building are also common, not sure if 
they ar always called pens but seems most common.
For these we could use man_made=silo and man_made=bunker_silo together 
with content=*.
A new landuse=pen or just man_made=pen ? I prefer the man_made.

What about the lagoons or basements for manure storage, I couldn't 
immediately find a suitable tag for them. Landuse=basin + basin=manure 
seems the most suitable ?


I wouldn't use a new key like livestock.  Please read the disambiguation 
for produce and product on 
So product=* with values describing the live animals seems to fit well 
like product=cattle or beef cattle, product=hogs, product=chicken or 
broiler chicken and also product=eggs etc...

Greetings, Bert Araali

On 27/05/2021 12:01, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 01:26, António Madeira <antoniomadeira at gmx.com 
> <mailto:antoniomadeira at gmx.com>> wrote:
>     I know the name of these buildings in Portuguese, but I have no
>     clue about their name in English to use it in OSM tags.
>     In a quick search I found references to "pig sheds" and "poultry
>     sheds".
>     https://www.epack.in/poultry-shed <https://www.epack.in/poultry-shed>
>     https://www.smartshelters.co.nz/livestock/pig-sheds-housing/
>     <https://www.smartshelters.co.nz/livestock/pig-sheds-housing/>
> As Joseph has already remarked, that would be "pig sty" and "chicken 
> coop."
> Except the last time pigs were discussed it was pointed out that a pig 
> sty is
> an open-air area, not a building, so "pig shed" is probably correct.  
> However...
>     Would this be a better solution?
> Pig shed and chicken coop are better, but I'm not sure they are correct.
> To my mind, pig sheds and chicken coops are relatively small buildings,
> not big meat factories.  It is the names used in the agricultural industry
> for those large-scale operations that I'm unsure of. Maybe
> building=factory is the way to go, relying on other tags to indicate
> what they produce.
> -- 
> Paul
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20210527/fffdb55b/attachment-0001.htm>

More information about the Tagging mailing list