[Tagging] How to tag an industrial breeding facility?

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Thu May 27 11:47:27 UTC 2021

Correct, seems to be that sty is used only for pigs, looked it up in the
dictionary, sorry for the confusion.  English seems to have a specific
word for the housing of every different kind of animal.
Did some searching on agricultural sites and a common term seems to be
"confinement" for the building or "animal feeding operation" abbreviated
as AFO for the facility.

"Sustainable food advocates often call these operations /factory farms/,
while people in rural areas where they are common call them /confinements/."

"Industrial livestock production has become so far removed from the
natural cycle of farming that laws and regulations no longer refer to
these operations as farms, but /animal feeding operations/, or AFOs. The
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates AFOs, defined as
“agricultural operations where animals are kept and raised in confined
situations.” ^2
<https://foodprint.org/issues/raising-animals-industrial-system/#easy-footnote-bottom-2-447>

The definition continues:

An AFO is a lot or facility (other than an aquatic animal production
facility) where the following conditions are met:

  * animals have been, are, or will be stabled or confined and fed or
    maintained for a total of 45 days or more in any 12-month period, and
  * crops, vegetation, forage growth or post-harvest residues are not
    sustained in the normal growing season over any portion of the lot
    or facility. ^3
    <https://foodprint.org/issues/raising-animals-industrial-system/#easy-footnote-bottom-3-447>

A concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO) is a very large AFO,
housing “more than 1000 animal units (an animal unit is defined as an
animal equivalent of 1000 pounds live weight and equates to 1000 head of
beef cattle, 700 dairy cows, 2500 swine weighing more than 55 pounds,
125 thousand broiler chickens or 82 thousand laying hens or pullets).”
^4
<https://foodprint.org/issues/raising-animals-industrial-system/#easy-footnote-bottom-4-447> Additionally,
“any size AFO that discharges manure or wastewater into a natural or
man-made ditch, stream or other waterway”rather than spraying the waste
indirectly on fields, is defined as a CAFO. ^5
<https://foodprint.org/issues/raising-animals-industrial-system/#easy-footnote-bottom-5-447>

Cattle, hogs, chickens and turkeys are the most common livestock raised
in confinement operations; but other types of poultry, as well as sheep,
goats and rabbits, are also being raised more and more this way."

Both from
https://foodprint.org/issues/raising-animals-industrial-system/
<https://foodprint.org/issues/raising-animals-industrial-system/>.

So building=confinement + new or industrial landuse tag since they are
no longer called farms, landuse=animal_feeding_operation ? Or
landuse=industrial + man_made=animal_feeding_operation ?
We once had landuse=livestock deprecated in favour of landuse=farmyard.
Personally I like landuse=farmyard + man_made=animal_feeding_operation.,
keeps it more related to agricultural activity then pure industrial and
often it's hard to determine the difference by just looking at the facility.

The facility also contains other structures like lagoons or underground
reservoirs for manure, silos to store the feed, and might even have
barns and sheds for equipment or other animals. Pens (where some animals
can walk outside the confinement building are also common, not sure if
they ar always called pens but seems most common.
For these we could use man_made=silo and man_made=bunker_silo together
with content=*.
A new landuse=pen or just man_made=pen ? I prefer the man_made.

What about the lagoons or basements for manure storage, I couldn't
immediately find a suitable tag for them. Landuse=basin + basin=manure
seems the most suitable ?

----

I wouldn't use a new key like livestock.  Please read the disambiguation
for produce and product on
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:produce#Produce_or_Product.2C_disambiguation
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:produce#Produce_or_Product.2C_disambiguation>.
So product=* with values describing the live animals seems to fit well
like product=cattle or beef cattle, product=hogs, product=chicken or
broiler chicken and also product=eggs etc...

Greetings, Bert Araali