[Tagging] How to tag an industrial breeding facility?

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Thu May 27 16:32:54 UTC 2021

After some more reading, I consulted some FAO documents, EU reports and
legislation and practices for tropical countries:

I couldn't acknowledge widespread global use of "confinement" for the
building outside the USA.
Besides stall and stables the most general term used for the building
seems just "animal housing".
So I suggest for the building=animal_housing which covers all of the
different terms, like stabling  or stables for horses, pigsty,
chicken-coop, rabbiitery etc... for small scale housings as the
intensive feeding confinements.

One could consider more details by using "capacity" or "type" attribute
key, either in numbers as known or just general terms like
capacity=intensive, capacity=moderate, capacity=low, other suggestions
of course welcome.
Additionally one could add an attribution key to describe the animal
breed or species, like with species=* or animal=*. animal=* is already
in use but caries values for the type of facility, so species seems more
suitable Species has a wiki page (more related to forestry but can be
used more broadly, as is already practiced like f.i. for animals
occurring in protected areas). If a common mapper doesn't know the Latin
name one could use the English namespace and Wikidata to provide the
common name and translations , like f.i. species:en=chicken (just an
example) and species:wikidata=Q... .

As already stated before AFO as for Animal Feeding Operation and the
variants CAFO and as suggested by Paul: ILO, CFO seem to have broad
global support, most commonly AFO.  So I would intend to stick with
that, as proposed before: landuse=farmyard (preferred to
landuse=industrial) with man_made=animal_feeding_operation.

The feedlots as referred to by Paul are just a collection of the pens I
mentioned before. A suggestion to map these could be man_made=pen on a
closed area and man_made=feedlot on the collection of pens. I wouldn't
create another man_made for a chicken run, the difference is just in the
semantics and I've seen people using chicken-pen.  Closed area could be
nicely attributed with fencing type as in barrier=* tagging. An open
chicken run (for the animal welfare) would not have a barrier added.

Feeding related facilities as before with man_made=silo or
man_made=bunker_silo together with content=* seems to cover most cases.
Already existing building values as barn and shed might be applicable
for auxiliary buildings.

A good fit in existing tagging schemes for the manure handling and
storage facilities (lagoons, basements) is more difficult to find so
please consider and comment on landuse=basin + basin=manure,
building=basement + basement=manure.

Greetings, Bert Araali