[Tagging] Areas around doctors/dentists - or any other amenity

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 08:10:26 UTC 2021

On 9/9/21 7:58 pm, nathan case wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A specific question but one that may actually be a much broader one.
>
> How should I tag the area (e.g. grounds) surrounding a doctor’s
> surgery or dentist? Both wiki pages explicitly state that
> amenity=doctors/dentist should be drawn around the perimeter of the
> building.
>
> I have seen some mappers apply the amenity=* tag to the whole area of
> the amenity, i.e., encompassing both buildings and grounds.
> amenity=fuel is one that springs to mind that is explicitly tagged
> like this but I have also seen things like amenity=pub mapped this way
> also (i.e. the pub building, car park and beer garden are all
> enveloped inside one large amenity=pub area).
>
> Do the grounds of a doctor’s surgery/dentist count as part of the
> amenity? If so, does this apply to most (if not all) amenities? Or, if
> not, would a landuse=healthcare tag perhaps be useful?

Take a look at amenity=fire_station. Here the area that is used for the
fire station can be mapped - including parking, landscaping, etc.

I think the same should apply to any amenity where the area is just for
that amenity e.g. a doctors place where the parking is for
customers/staff, the landscaping is part of the property. Where the
amenity shares the premises then I'd simply map a node as the amount of
time to determine the area is not worth it to me.