[talk-au] [OSM-talk] bulk loading towns/cities locations

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Wed Nov 21 08:57:29 GMT 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Brent Easton wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> That's a good question. It should have been included. I tried to include
> all records with a designation of
>
>  CITY, TOWN, VILLAGE, SUBURB, LOCALITY, URBAN PLACE, RURAL PLACE
>
> so the LOCALITY record for Tura Beach should have gone in. I have a
> complete list of the 5724 places I added and Tura Beach ain't on it!
>
> I used Excel and did a lot of manual cutting and pasting, and removing
> duplicates. Looks like a few places might have slipped through the cracks
> with an overzealous cut.
>
> Regards,
> Brent.

Ok, that explains why Leeton, a decent town of about 8000, slipped through as
a hamlet.
Some places recognised by the geographical names board in NSW are just not in
use and for some the designations are odd (like Leeton)
Are there Australian guidelines on city/town/village or are we using local
knowledge and preference?

Actually this is a great help when sorting through large uncharted areas. I've
now got gpx tracks for the Sturt Highway west from Darlington Point and will
get a lot more recorded this weekend.

Those place names help position the track against my personal knowledge of the
road. When I've got a defined central point in a village or town like a post
office or the local pub I move the marker there.

Liz