[talk-au] Hi from Adelaide

Jack Burton jack at saosce.com.au
Thu Nov 29 07:34:26 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 01:13 +1030, Cameron wrote:
> I'm Cameron - from Adelaide. Is anyone else mapping Adelaide on the
> mailing list? I think there's only one other person anyway heh.

Hi Cameron. I've been mapping a bit of Adelaide too (principally the
inner Western suburbs) although haven't done much in the last couple of
weeks.

Well done on your coverage of the Le Fevre peninsula - it looks quite
comprehensive.

I think there's at least a third person mapping Adelaide, but on the
other side of town (Mt Barker, etc.) - or was that you as well?

> I joined the OSM community when I found that the price of a garmin GPS
> map is almost the same as the GPS unit itself! I've been mapping
> Adelaide, primarily from yahoo imagery and local knowledge of street
> names. Currently I have most main roads near the city complete and am
> working on residential streets around where I live and regularly
> travel.

I also have a Garmin (SP c330), picked up on a recent trip to the US,
and was horrified on my return to discover that they want _more_ for the
Aus map than the unit itself (including North American map) cost in the
first place. But my main reason for participating in OSM is not the cost
of Garmin's maps (it's not really that much) but their license terms --
I don't see the point of having a digital map for navigation purposes,
if I can't update it whenever the govt decides to tear down a bridge,
close a road or build a new one (all of which seem to be happening quite
a lot in Adelaide at the moment).

I'd be interested in knowing what process you use for getting OSM data
into your Garmin -- I've tried a few different approaches, most of which
work to some extent, but none of which are wholly satisfactory.

Regards,

Jack.