[talk-au] Tagging questions

Russell Lang gsview at ghostgum.com.au
Mon Feb 11 01:17:14 GMT 2008

Stuart,

>> How do you tag an ambiguous name.  One end of way is marked Michael St,
>> the other says Michael Av.  What is the accepted way to obtain the
>> correct  name, avoiding copyright maps?
>

> Looking at street signs. If street signs lie, well... at least our maps
> are an accurate representation of facts on the ground.

I didn't explain that well enough.  It is only a short street, about 200
metres long.
The western end has a street sign "Michael Av".  The eastern end has a
street sign "Michael St".  I could label it with the name used by Melway
and the Lands Department, but I was wondering if there are any other
Victorian online sources where you can confirm the name, and which don't
have restrictions on how you can use the information.

Of course I could ring up the council and ask them, and then get them to
correct their sign...