[talk-au] [Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Explicit 4WD_Only tag

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.net.au
Sun Nov 30 10:09:40 GMT 2008

Liz wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Matt White wrote:
>
>> Introduce a tag that allows ways to indicate explicitly whether a 4WD
>> vehicle is required to navigate that way. This would also allow routing
>> engines to take into account such ways, so that non-4WD vehicles aren't
>> routed onto roads they aren't capable of.
>>
>> Please see the proposal page for the details
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/4WD_Only
>>
>> Matt
>>

> We could have a long discussion about this. It's a good idea, but to be
> pedantic (and there are lots of mappers like this) do you mean..
> a high clearance vehicle
> a vehicle which drives through all wheels (4 or 6)
> or you can drive this in a solid car with a floor pan if you are smart enough
> (like a beach buggy)
>
> some of us rural people reckon that 4WD just gets you 4 foot further into
> trouble and just because you have one of those urban shopping cart 4WD things
> doesn't make you good enough to go anywhere
>
> and no, I haven't had a 4WD for over 20 years. Nowadays I have a fleet of
> bicycles to cover varying terrain.

I wasn't thinking about urban shopping carts (although I did try and
define 4WD as high clearance vehicle with low range capability, and I
had to include soft roaders (anything with a centre diff lock
capability). Someone on the page asked bout the Lamboghini Murcielago
(cos it's all wheel drive). Can't please everybody.)

Pedantry seems to be prevalent is some sections of OSM - witness the
barney over the smoothness tag (which was kind of what got me to
actually propose a 4WD tag)

The idea was to have a single yes/no tag which was effectively a
practical restriction on the road, rather than a legal one. There are a
number of roads in various state forests around melbourne which are
marked as "4WD Only", and the corresponding VicMap road is also marked
4WD only.

Do you mean 4 feet further, or 4 feet deeper in the mud? Saw some guys
today in Toolangi State Forest who would have been up the proverbial
without a paddle if it wasn't for a decent winch.

Matt