[talk-au] Roundabouts and routing

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 10:13:44 GMT 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

> Likewise it's not necessary to have multiple nodes on a straight section of
> road (unless it's really long).  As an example I just came across one
> straight road that was 150m long. It had 6 nodes on it where it could have
> been drawn with three. One at each end of the road and one where it
> intersected with the second carriageway of the dual carriageway road it
> joins.

I'm guilty of this sometimes. One reason for me comes from the method of
tracing: zoom in, mark points along the longest straight stretch you can
see, then pan the map, repeat, etc. If you're very zoomed in, you can't tell
that the road will be straight off the screen.

And sometimes you just forget not to. Or you're not certain that the road
really is straight, etc.

Steve