[talk-au] Suburb boundaries

Franc Carter franc.carter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 04:52:43 GMT 2009

>From a 'philosophical point of view', I tend to agree that suburbs are made
of
a set of boundaries between adjacent areas. This was not how I did it in my
first (very quick) attempt ;-(

The data is in shapefiles that define each suburb boundary individually, so
I'll have a think about how to extract out the individual borders
(suggestions
welcome)

One question about aligning them that springs to mind is 'what should we
align' - I wonder if the accuracy of the data is better than the average
accuracy
of a gps or yahoo imagery.

cheers

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Darrin Smith <beldin at beldin.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 14:26:13 +1100
> Franc Carter <franc.carter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There are two issues that I have come across with converting to osm:-
> >
> >    1. What way do we want to represent the data, e.g closed ways or
> > relations consisting
> >        of borders - something else ?
>
> I'd personally prefer border relations. But given Franc and I seem
> to be the only significant creators of relations in .au anyway (A
> search of the australia.osm reveals we're the only two with > 100
> relations) I don't think the majority of regular osm mappers have got
> relations yet.
>
> However I think relations are the way data like this is going in OSM.
>
> >    2. The more technical problem that the boundaries are defined
> > fairly precisely (or more accurately
> >        there are lots of points defining the boundaries). So the .osm
> > file is very large - so eyeballing
> >        it in josm is not going to work.
> >
> > So I'm interested in people's suggestions of how we want to represent
> > the data and on methods we can
> > use to sanity check the data before we upload it.
>
> Lots of the cases are along roads/rivers/railways I imagine to
> make them align with what we actually have on the map, lots of review
> is going to have to happen once it's actually in the map anyway.
>
> Given nearly all suburb boundaries are multiples (one suburb on each
> side). I'd think 1 way for a common boundary between 2 suburbs and
> joining up all those ways for each suburb in a relation would be the
> way to go. Then people can review them in areas where there's existing
> data and re-align them down the middle of roads they run along or
> remove the chunks than overlap single ways and add those ways to the
> boundary.

Franc