[talk-au] Mini Roundabouts.

Craig cjtreb at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 16:49:01 BST 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 01:07 +1000, Ross Scanlon wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:19:50 +0800
> "Andrew Gregory" <andrew at scss.com.au> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:33:25 +0800, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I know I'm probably preaching to the converted but...
> >
> > :)
> >
> > > Also I've found mini_roundabouts for this:
> > >
> > > http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.67619,153.16911&z=20&t=k
> > >
> > > I'd suggest this should be traffic_calming=island
> >
> > Yes, I've seen lots of those too, and have been changing them to
> > junction=roundabout (with a proper circular road). I'm not sure about
> > traffic_calming=island?
>
> Do roundabout rules apply at them??
>
> They are a traffic calming device so we should tag them as such, as yet there is nothing in the traffic_calming tags to accurately describe them.  So my suggestion that it should be traffic_calming=island.
>
> Have a look at this:
>
> http://www.austroads.com.au/pdf/TestMethod2/5._LOCAL_AREA_TRAFFIC_MANAGEMENT_SCHEMES.pdf
>
> Page two gives a definition of them.

Can I suggest a sentence from this document?: ..."or centreline traffic
islands that narrow traffic lanes to control traffic and reduce
pedestrian crossing distances. Also called “chokers”."

There is a preset for a traffic_calming=choker in JOSM. It doesn't roll
off the tongue that well, because this is only the second time I've
heard the term (the first was in one of Steve Coast's video tutes I
think), and it's not commonly used here.

I am new here however, and it may only make sense to me because I
haven't been privy to previous discussions or thoughts. Feel free to
shoot it down. :)

--
Craig