[talk-au] Hiking tracks: foot=yes or foot=designated?

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Tue Feb 23 09:46:50 GMT 2010

Steve Bennett wrote:

> Not too important yet, but it would certainly be good to get all
> walking tracks using route relations, and to be roughly consistent
> about what is IWN/NWN/RWN/LWN.

Some further thoughts on this:

I forgot about the Australian Alps Walking Track, which is national,
spanning significant distances in both NSW and Vic.

But part of that track goes through wilderness areas, where track
markers aren't permitted.  Should we be even mapping those sections,
thereby helping create an erosion/"localised overuse" threat?

I also think that many shorter routes don't warrant a route relation,
mainly because they can be adequately represented by a single way.

And many short routes that do warrant a route relation certainly aren't
significant enough to warrant a "lwn" tag.

John H