[talk-au] Princes Highway (Relation 538443)

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 05:05:28 BST 2011

On 6 September 2011 13:48, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ian, the world is a complicated place, and the answers to these
> questions are not always straightforward to answer. It doesn't mean we
> should just delete everything.

Agreed, but not by any stretch what I'm suggesting.

> Yes, it means that there are small elements
> of subjectivity in how we map, but that doesn't prevent the end result
> being very useful and meaningful.

I'm going to create a "route" called the Princes Highway.  I'm going to
place roads in it which aren't called the Princes Highway, when the road
called the Princes Highway goes off in another direction, or exists
elsewhere.

Hmmm..  it is subjective, but I can't see how it is useful or meaningful.

This is why route numbers were invented.  So routes can be followed across
multiple road names.  The route numbers are on the ground, or otherwise
discoverable.

Is there another map in the world you can point to, which maps what we are
trying to do here?

I can see some reasoning for when the Princes Highway changes name
temporarily through a country town, that we have an alt_name through the
town, beyond that though...

Ian.