[talk-au] Princes Highway (Relation 538443)

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 03:27:34 BST 2011

On 7 September 2011 11:55, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> > What I'm talking about here is a "route" relation.  I'm arguing that we
> > don't need a named route relation called the Princes Highway.
>
> But your argument consists of "I can't decide which roads should make
> up the relation, so let's delete the relation".

No, I'm not say I can't decide.  I'm say that there is no basis that I can
see for anyone to make such a decision.

An actual connected route along roads on the ground in this instance either
doesn't exist or cannot be determined from any verifiable source.

OSM requires verifiability<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Verifiability>,
for reasons I consider apparent.  A route relation requires that there be an
actual, connected route.

On both these points, this isn't appropriate for a route relation.

Princes Highway is part of route 1.

This isn't helpful.  National Route 1 and the Princes Hwy diverge at many
points. National Route 1 follows the Southern Freeway south from Sydney for
a start.

Ian.