[talk-au] Mass revert now??

Ben Johnson tangararama at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 07:00:03 GMT 2012

On 07/01/2012, at 5:18 PM, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM, David Findlay
> <david at woodypointcomms.com.au> wrote:
>> Yeah, that's me. Apparently I have another account? I can't seem to
>> log in via
>> that account though. Is there a way I can mark my old account as
>> accepting
>> terms and as public domain? Thanks,
>
> If that is you then in this case you've got nothing to worry about.
> JohnSmith kept your contributions in tact and simply amended them with
> a new version while making improvements to your work. Your attribution
> is present in the history and OSM very easily roll back to an earlier
> version.

Andrew: that's also providing David can somehow access his old account
which created the edits so that he can accept the new terms.  Can we
refer David to somewhere (help.openstreetmap.org ?) for further advice
on accessing his old account?

David: the critial thing is to accept the new terms. The other "Public
Domain" option is of no consequence. Richard from legal explained to
me that they just threw that in there as a "survey type of thing" to
gauge opinion on whether there is interest in going down this path,
but they won't be releasing any of our work as public domain without
discussing with the community, and legally it seems there is no way to
declare something as "Public Domain" in a few important countries
anyway. In my opinion it was a silly place to put a survey question
but I guess they had their reasons.

BJ