[talk-au] replies to my into

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Jan 25 03:09:11 GMT 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Don Thomas <donthomas at gmx.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the various replies, obviously there is sticky stuff going on so
> a bit of background is useful.
> In my area there are some roads that aren't mapped at all and some sections
> of roads apparently not mapped so I will probably start with these. It might
> be April before I get them done.
> Most of what I expect to do will be straight from the GPSr. I currently use
> a Etrex H (non mapping) which has a fairly small memory so will only do
> relative shortish bits at a time.
> Question: I use tracking settings 'auto' with a 'medium' accuracy which
> looks OK when I load it up on the computer, does that sound OK?
> I do have a couple of other questions but I'll firstly see if I can find the
> answers on the tagging instructions page.

Hi Don,

Welcome.

Collecting data with a foot survey is the best way to get up-to-date
data for OpenStreetMap. That's how you'll notice that one company has
moved down the block and that a new one has opened in its place.  Much
of that information can be mapped well with nothing more exotic than
paper and pencil.  GPS and digital camera and other tools can be very
helpful as well but don't let the lack of a large trackfile memory
stop you.

When you are collecting GPS data, start with the following settings.

turn off "snap to road"
save a data point every second

Some settings like 'auto' might save you memory, but can also hide
some of the data that you want to keep.

Happy Mapping.