[talk-au] Historical rail lines

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 21:20:15 GMT 2012

On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure we've reached consensus in the past that if there is
> absolutely no evidence of it on the ground - no tunnels - no cuttings - no
> tracks.  In other words there was a railway line, but now it is a shopping
> mall, then it doesn't get mapped.  We don't maintain layers of history in
> OSM right now.

Here's what the wiki says:

>Abandoned - The track has been removed and the line may have been reused
or left to decay but is still clearly visible, either from the replacement
infrastructure, or purely from a line of trees around an
>original cutting or embankment. Use railway<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:railway>
=abandoned <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dabandoned>.
Where it has been reused as a cycle path then add
highway<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>
=cycleway <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dcycleway>

For the case of the Inner Circle line, there is ample evidence:
- some track, buildings etc
- large sections of reserved land (according to our map, the "Linear Park
Reserve")
- a bike path (the "Inner Circle Rail Trail"):
https://www.railtrails.org.au/trail?view=trail&id=133

I agree that where a rail line has been completely removed and sold off,
and built over, the story is a bit different. But in this case, great
effort has been expended to retain it as a feature of the landscape: hence
the park, bike path, etc. Its presence lives on much more than some
abstract representation on a map. It's completely plausible that people
would want to follow the old train line on the map - in a way that wouldn't
be the case if it had been built over by houses or shopping malls.

There are other abandoned railways that perhaps shouldn't be mapped, but
the case is pretty good for this one.

Steve