[talk-au] Making Garmin IMG for Bushwalking - Insanity starts

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Jul 17 17:39:37 UTC 2013

Brett Russell wrote:
> Ok the first step is getting the OSM data.  I am aware that
> http://download.geofabrik.de/ provides .pbf files but for Australia it
> is 145MB.  Bit much of a download for a mobile phone given that I am
> looking to update Tassie every week

> So does anyone know where I will find a site to download a pdf format
> file for Tassie and more importantly how to do this.

I suspect that the sub-regions that got added at
http://download.geofabrik.de/ got added because someone asked for them,
so you could always try that!

Failing that someone who's not on a mobile phone connection would need
to download the .pbf for Australia and then split it with Osmosis
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis).  Given the shape of the
state boundaries I'd have thought that simple lat/long based splitting
would work, with only Vic/NSW/ACT being at all "complicated".

Cheers,
Andy