[talk-au] Gold Coast Suburb Boundaries

Jason Ward jasonjward5 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 13:59:36 UTC 2013

Hi Steve,

A similar discussion occurred as recently as Sep 2012 but my review of that
suggests no absolute resolution occurred.  I'd suggest having a read (you
might have already) as its an indicator of the due diligence applied to
externally sourced data(sets).
http://openstreetmap-australia.2291470.n4.nabble.com/talk-au-suburb-boundaries-td4641332.html

Setting aside the points made in that linked discussion and to address your
question directly.  The data is available over at data.qld.gov.au  right
now (Search for "Locality boundaries - Queensland")

All data from the qld site is shared under a Creative Commons
(CC-BY-3.0 AU) licence
but as I understand it this is at odds (or is at risk of being at odds)
with the Open Database Licence Compliant (ODbL) You might have spotted my
earlier introduction to Talk-au where I note that I have requested explicit
permission to use the data from this source.  See:
http://openstreetmap-australia.2291470.n4.nabble.com/talk-au-data-qld-gov-au-explicit-permission-request-td4642067.html

Not much in the way of outcomes for you but hopefully a little more context
for further consideration.

Cheers,

Jason

On 26 November 2013 23:01, Steve Dalton <steve at refactor.com.au> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Finally found the AU OSM list!
>
> I'm currently doing a bit of work with OSM for a client and I've
> stumbled on a problem I had some time ago. Gold Coast suburbs are
> completely wrong!
>
> I'm pretty new to OSM - so forgive my ignorance here, but from what I
> can see the administrative boundary for suburb is just set from a
> point and it just calculates your suburb from the nearest
> administrative point. So I live in Parkwood (no point has been set for
> this), my street comes up as Nerang and the street next to me comes up
> as Helensvale!
>
> If I was to get hold of proper suburb boundaries from the council - is
> there any way to even enter it? I can't quite see how. Has anyone in
> other cities done this? I did see some reference to Adelaide in the
> list archives but as I've not done a lot of geospatial work some of
> the terms and formats were new to me.
>
> There is quite a bit of support for Open Data at the moment in Gold
> Coast City council, so would appreciate any advice from other
> contributors on the best format for data, best way to get this data
> into OSM (if possible) and how best to work with the council.
>
> I would really like to encourage OSM usage more in my local area - but
> with a fundamental problem like this - it's a bit embarrassing. My
> general response to things like this is to use RMS's words "We can fix
> that!" but I'm a little stumped here on how to go about it, so any
> help appreciated.
>
> Many thanks
> Steve
>
> --