[talk-au] Openstreetmap Quality Issues

Neil Penman neilpenman at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 01:07:17 UTC 2013

I did that after the first revert.  However it didn't help :).  I think it
important to try to develop a culture that existing map data should not be
changed unless you know you are improving it.  If the map shows a road
network that differs from the Satellite in a way that may be due to design
then either you should contact the previous mapper before changing it or
you should get on your bike and head out to the site to verify that the
satellite imagery is in fact correct.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:

> On 19/10/13 11:20, Neil Penman wrote:
>
>  Unfortunately the culture seems to have become that any accurate
>> local mapping should be replaced with unthinking tracing over the top
>> of obsolete satellite imagery.
>>

> I find that it sometimes helps to add an appropriately-worded note to
> the nodes or ways in question: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/**
> wiki/Key:note <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:note>
>
> John

Smap Consulting  <http://smap.com.au/>| Mobile Data Collection Solutions