[talk-au] Cycling network tag

SomeoneElse lists at atownsend.org.uk
Mon Dec 15 10:29:26 UTC 2014

On 08/12/2014 11:25, Steve Bennett wrote:

> It was quite an eye opener for me earlier this year to cycle in the UK
> to discover that they really do have LCN, RCN, and NCN. And they're
> slightly different from what I expected: NCN is basically a network
> that links towns together, LCN and other stuff, but with the same goal
> of efficiently getting from place to place. RCN is a cycle tourism
> network, and follows scenic, rather than efficient, routes. (Following
> an NCN route is often disappointing...)

I think that it depends a bit where you are.  In some places NCN routes
are essentially boring "cycle motorways", but in the more interesting
bits of the UK countryside there are places where NCN routes need more
just than a city bike.  In those cases I'd just try and tag surface and
mtb:scale appropriately so that cycle routers and renderers can work
appropriately.

The "cycle tourism network" that I suspect that you're referring to is
the "National Byway" http://www.nationalbyway.org/welcome.asp which is a
bit of a one-off - there are other RCNs that suit different cycling
styles and needs.

Cheers,

Andy