[talk-au] Vicmap data copying

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon May 19 09:55:35 UTC 2014

On 19/05/2014 4:22 PM, David Bannon wrote:
> No, no Steve, I worded my last letter really badly and totally apologise
> if I unintentionally offended anyone. My comment related specifically to
> your line -

Alan Greenspan --- ' /I know you think you/ understand what /you/
thought I /said/ but I'm not sure /you/ realize that what /you/ heard is
not what I meant'

Anyone who has been on the internet for a while will realise that
anything can and will be misconstrued. No one should take it personally!

> I meant leave the 'grey' areas to the survey people. There are many
> roads (and particularly tracks) that cannot been seen clearly on the
> imagery, and many more where some parts cannot be seen. I'd rather the
> people working with imagery or other non (recent) survey data such as
> Vic Maps did not make "educated guesses" but go and have a look, or
> ask some else to go and have a look.

Humm .. there are places I've been before GPS... One example:
I know the road is there as I've been on it. However it is now closed
for vehicles - inside a National Park. I've mapped bits of  it into OSM
as it may be of use to walkers. The bit I cannot 'see' with imagery I've
connected with very apparent straight lines. I do have copyright maps of
the area but I'm not looking at those now (they were current when I was
there ... many years ago!). I'm not going back there, I've many other
(new to me) places to go. Nor would I request someone to go there.
Someone probably will go there .. but I'll leave their interest and trip
up to them. So I'm adding stuff that I think is of use, an indication
rather than accurate in some places .. but those bits are straight lines
and anyone who knows the area will know that those are not 'truth'.

For places I've not been to yet and have an interest in .. I'll map the
bits I can see. So I can use the OSM map better when I get there. I do
have current maps of those areas too .. with written descriptions and
photos .. but I don't use those to put info on OSM either.Nor do I
connect th ebits .. as I don't know that they are connected (yet).

> I have had a road (into a new estate) removed, apparently because it
> did not show up on Bing.

I'm against removing stuff of any description .. unless you really know
it is not there. And as you say the only way to 'know' is to got there
(or have been before, even then things change). Same for changing it,
don't change unless you 'know'.

I've been deleting the tag "name={Unnamed]" and adding the tag
"unsigned=yes", in one case I 'know' the roads name .. but my source I
remember as a street directory . So I cannot use it untill the memory
fades a bit more. In most cases I've been past some of the roads .. and
there is no street sign (indeed most have no power poles nor street
lighting). In this case I think it can be changed without 'knowing' as
the intent is clear - there is no local sign to get a name from .. at
least not when the tag was added.

So .. my take as always
Rules were made for the guidance of the wise,
and the obedience of fools.

To be wise though you have to know the intent, and ramifications ...
becarefull as to where you place yourself.