[talk-au] Importing Vicmap Lite data

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 11:48:58 UTC 2015

Hi Russell,

  I've been involved in a discussion with VicMap (Peter Debicki
specifically) on this issue, but I've dropped the ball (or at least am
holding on to it a bit too long).

Here's the short version:

- From OSM's perspective, we need a clear statement from VicMap that they
are ok with us importing their data into OSM and potentially re-licensing
it.
- From VicMap's perspective: they don't think we need this statement, and
they don't want to provide it, but they're ok with us importing their data
into OSM.

Yeah, it's a bit silly.

Vicmap's position on IP is pretty clear. They consider all their *data* to
be open licensed, and available for anyone to use for free. They consider
their *services* (including rendered map tiles) to be commercially valuable.

Steve