[talk-au] Unauthorised bike trails in national parks

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 01:17:20 UTC 2015

On 30 July 2015 at 10:20, <forster at ozonline.com.au> wrote:

> I have spoken with Parks Vic and they request that bike riders do not
> create additional trails and only use official trails. They would prefer if
> such unofficial trails were not mapped or named because it implies official
> status to park users.

Would they just 'prefer' it.  Or is there actually a regulation preventing
their use?  We have ways to tag to indicate there is no legal access to
bikes.

However, I'm not sure how we would tag to indicate someone's preference for
things not being used.  There is a tag value of official and designated,
but someone has tied themselves in knots with this stuff, and I doubt it
would be effective here.

As another (somewhat related) example, the Parks often don't map Aboriginal
sites and drawing on their maps - only the 'official' ones where there are
fences, etc.  In the past I've chosen not to map these sites, but I've no
idea what I would do if I saw someone else had mapped them.

Ian.