[talk-au] Mapping houses and addresses in Sydney

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 19:12:58 UTC 2018

On 3 June 2018 at 21:48, Dion Moult <dion at thinkmoult.com> wrote:

> I've started using OSM more and more and I find it frustrating that many
> house addresses are not available in OSM. I would like to help by tracing
> many houses using ESRI as a base map (feel free to audit my history on OSM
> under the name "Moult").  I would also like to add address information
> (addr:housenumber and addr:street) to these ways however I don't think that
> we are meant to be copying from Google maps. Is there another map source
> that has addresses that we can use? Perhaps some form of government
> cadastre map? Is that allowed?

What do you mean by "ESRI as a base map" do you mean the "ESRI World
Imagery" available in ID and JOSM? ESRI's map layers are not allowed, just
like Google Maps or Google Street View which must not be used as we don't
have the copyright permissions to use these.

Joel H is right about the LPI Base Map as a source of addresses, which we
do have an explicit permission for (not the new OSMF waiver though).

The building outlines are best obtained from the LPI Imagery which has the
highest resolution and isn't too old.

Not sure how you would find the addr:street? I'd say don't add this unless
you know from a survey or local_knowledge, especially around corners it can
be tricky. Besides most of the time it can be guessed already by data
consumers snapping to the nearest road segment.

PS. There is also GNAF which has address data Australia wide which you can
use with OSM, but not import into OSM. Personally I use this in a lot of
maps and mobile apps (OsmAnd, you should be able to get it into maps.me
too).