[talk-au] Australia maritime boundaries - Geoscience Australia

Lee Mason lee.mason at outlook.com.au
Sun Sep 2 00:35:16 UTC 2018

>That seems to imply that the coastal waters aren't part of the State or Territory, just that the State and Territories have jurisdiction over that coastal water. I'm not even sure the State/Territory borders should extend out past the coastline at all?

I would be in favour of extending the state/territory out to the coastal waters limits. I interpret the definition being that, for all intents and purposes, the coastal waters are part of the state/territory, except that these coastal waters constitute Australia’s territorial waters.

Also, extending the state/territory borders out to the coastal waters limits would enclose any features in OSM that lie outside of the coastline, but are managed or considered a part of the respective state/territory. Most notably bays or even some beaches.
As an example, The Ningaloo Marine Park [OSM]<https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8426821>  (Commonwealth waters), lies directly adjacent to a marine park of the same name but within state waters and managed by Western Australia (currently not in OSM – but here is a good map showing both<https://parks.dpaw.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/downloads/parks/2462-13%20Spearfishing%20in%20Ningaloo%20WEB.pdf>).

>However, I was waiting for GA to release an updated dataset that will
have the new boundaries arising from recent treaty negotiations with
East Timor. I'd suggest waiting till then.

I am happy to proceed with the import. I would expect any amendments would only be relatively minimal around the region.

>I would ask that before anyone does imports, you make and document a plan, so which data sources, which tags are going to be used and seek feedback

I shall start working on a plan, post it here, and begin importing after consultation.