[talk-au] Aboriginal art sites

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 22:09:12 UTC 2019

On 05/04/19 08:02, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm sure we're all well intentioned.
>
> If I understand your proposal, what you're saying is we build a wiki
> page that lists the relevant authority and what should not be mapped
> in that area.  Then a local mapper would check against that when
> mapping significant local features?
>
> So that raises two issues I see.
>
> Firstly, since it's defined in the negative it relies on someone
> seeking out the local authority and recording their wishes. Rather
> than imposing a positive obligation to seek permission. In that way it
> seems a little different to what others seem to be proposing.
>
> Secondly, we may end up with a wiki page with the areas and
> significant features all laid out.  Which may be counter to what we're
> trying to achieve here.

+1 ...

Usually it will be a large area - many square kilometres rather than a
small area.
The name of the 'tribe' should be enough for 'local' mappers to
determine the area, some areas overlap which is a problem as you would
need permission from both.

> Ian.

In some areas backyard pools can form a significant fire fighting
resource .. and there is some merit in mapping them. Usually the pool
owner signifies permission for this by placing a small sign at the
property entrance that fire fighters can see.