[talk-au] Rock Overhangs

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 21:39:13 UTC 2019

> when (how deep) does a rock overhang / shelter become an actual cave? :-)
Some judgement is needed, but the ones I've seen are pretty clear cut as
being one or the other.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dshelter just says "A
shelter <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelter_(building)> is small place to
protect against bad weather conditions." which is mostly what these
overhangs are used for, so I think it's the appropriate tag. If that
shelter is frequently used as a camp site (now, not just historically) then
can be tagged tourism=camp_site with a few extra tags from
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism=camp_site to help
distinguish this small camp site from the larger ones.

Is "not meant for sleeping, no cooking or heating equipement inside"
supposed to be a criteria for a shelter?

I would say no. We should tag the rock overhang for what it is, and use
tourism=camp_site to say if it's commonly used for sleeping too.