[talk-au] Practicality of mapping high-speed motor-traffic routes as cycle routes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 10:54:33 UTC 2020

I have bicycled on the M2. I much prefer it the the alternative that has
a lot of up and down, dangerous cross streets where some drivers assume
right of way over bicycles and a less direct route. There are people who
commute to and from work on it, if there were a convenient safer route
they would use that instead.

On 13/4/20 8:01 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> I think it's a fair argument to say it's not an actual route (but
> still designated bicycle infrastructure since it's signposted), I can
> see arguments both ways.
>
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 19:27, Dongchen Yue <yuedongchenyy at gmail.com
> <mailto:yuedongchenyy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     It’s certainly true that some people rely on motorway routes (I
>     agree that the solution for family-friendly routes would be a
>     different renderer, until conditions change in Australia).
>     However, regarding the bike symbol on the M2 on the Mapillary
>     example, it’s designed to be a sign of caution instead of a route
>     guide
>     (https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/business-industry/partners-and-suppliers/lgr/cycling-aspects-of-austroads-guides.pdf).

The document is 177 pages long... which page?

Some bicycle signs are to caution motor vehicle operators as to the
presence of bicycles, not to caution the bicycle rider.