[talk-au] Distinction between roadside rest and stopping area..

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 22:41:50 UTC 2021

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 09:26, Andrew Hughes <ahhughes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In addition to your comment about trucks Warin. There are many rest areas
> that are for trucks only. I believe there are tags for this so I assume
> you're not tagging them for the trucking industry just light vehicle rest
> areas?
>
> Cheers,
> A Hughes.
>
> FWIW: Truck rest areas are quite a contentious issue because truck drivers
> have legal limits on drive time to manage fatigue and the rest area stops
> are baked into their journey before they set off. They're understandably
> none too happy when they get to a rest area that should be dedicated to
> them for some shut eye only to find it full of caravans or to have caravans
> making noise (esp. Generators) which doesn't allow them to get the sleep
> they need. Consequently, its would be good to have a distinction in the
> data or intentially avoid adding the truck rest areas if all you wanted was
> light  vehicles. :)

I would still class these as highway=rest_area based on them meeting the
criteria of "A rest area is place along a road, usually a motorway or
dual-carriageway, where a driver can stop to have a rest."

If signposted for truck drivers, then I'd add hgv=designated per access
tagging https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access and if other vehicle
users can't access them then tag those as no (I prefer not to use
access=no + hgv=designated, but in this case it might be best to exclude
all other users apart from hgv).

Does this sound workable?