[talk-au] Roads in Industrial Estates: Residential, Unclassified or Service?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 09:30:42 UTC 2021

On 23/7/21 6:00 pm, Adam Horan wrote:
> I've seen that roads in local industrial estates have a mix of
> tagging. Some are highway=residential, and some highway=unclassified.
> I'm referring to the normal public roads within the industrial estate,
> and not the other roads that often go to shared units or behind units.
>
> Tagging them as residential just /seems/ wrong to me.
>
> From the wiki it seems that highway=service is perhaps the most
> suitable: /"*For access roads to, or within an industrial estate,*
> camp site, business park, car park, alleys, etc. Can be used in
> conjunction with service=* to indicate the type of usage and with
> access=* to indicate who can use it and in what circumstances."/
>
> An example of an estate with predominantly *highway=unclassified*
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-38.0964/145.1687
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-38.0964/145.1687>
>
> A small one that's mostly *highway=residential*
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=-38.09231&lon=145.16617#map=17/-38.08228/145.24485
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/query?lat=-38.09231&lon=145.16617#map=17/-38.08228/145.24485>
> A typical road in this estate
> https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=2870441486503883
> <https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=2870441486503883>

'unclassified' to me.

> A large estate that's a mix of *tertiary *and *residential*
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-38.0263/145.2131
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-38.0263/145.2131>
>
> Roads like this one
> https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=301424184769146
> <https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=301424184769146> which don't
> appear to be public roads, and are usually concrete rather than
> asphalt, I would consider to be more clearly service roads. This one
> doesn't appear on Vic Map.
>
> What are your thoughts?

Residential road should be confined to residential areas.

That leaves 'unclassified' or 'service'. And those are the ones I'd
use.. the service roads are for roads that service a individual building
complex .. think of a shopping centre. The 'unclassified' for the
connecting roads in the general area.

The ones behind units etc are service, some of these are open to the
public as firms service the public and allow them to come to the 'front
door'.