[talk-au] Roads in Industrial Estates: Residential, Unclassified or Service?

Benjamin Ceravolo bjceravolo1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 09:36:42 UTC 2021

Hi Adam,

I believe that they should be highway=unclassified.

Roads in industrial areas are often wider and support two lanes of
traffic with parked vehicles on either side, unlike residential roads where
this is not always the case.
See Industrial area (https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=523009915369840)
Vs residential area (https://www.mapillary.com/app/?pKey=374618803877590)

Also considering trucks and other 'heavy' traffic uses industrial roads
they may chouses to avoid routing on residential roads. though I'm
no expert on routing engines.

I would not say the highway=service should be used as none of the service=*
tags lend themselves to being the 'primary' roads in industrial areas.
Further to this and my first point in the standard OSM Carto Rendering the
hierarchy of minor roads is, unclassified, residential, service, track,
this would mean that an industrial area mapped with highway=services would
appear to have smaller rods then a residential area. While we are not
encouraged to map for the render, as the hierarchy would
probably affect the routing engine this would be fair.

Ben.