[talk-au] Cycling on Victorian paths

osm.talk-au at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.talk-au at thorsten.engler.id.au
Sun Oct 3 05:08:08 UTC 2021

Ah, I now see there are subtle differences in the definition of “road related area” in Victoria and NSW…

While the NSW rules, as written, expand the definition of “road related area” to any public space which has as it’s primary purpose use by pedestrians, the Victoria rules do not seem to do that.

Though the Victoria version of the road rules includes this:

a place that is a road by virtue of a declaration under section 3(2)(a) of the Road Safety Act 1986

and if you follow that rabbit hole all the way down, you get to:

(2) The Governor in Council may by Order published in the Government Gazette-

  (a) declare any place or class of places, whether open to vehicles or not, to be or not to be a road or roads or a road related area or road related areas for the purposes of this Act;

Which means that to actually figure out what is a road or road related area in Victoria, someone will have to do an exhaustive search of the Government Gazette.