[talk-au] "Removing closed or illegal trails." specifically motor bikes

osm.talk-au at thorsten.engler.id.au osm.talk-au at thorsten.engler.id.au
Sat Oct 30 04:21:16 UTC 2021

With the caveat that the access tags should reflect legal basis of access, not physical suitability or actual usage.

If the path in question is not legally allowed for motorcycle, then don’t tag motorcycle=yes, even if it’s physically possible and people (illegally) use it that way.

If you want to indicate that a path or track is physically not wide enough for larger vehicles, just tag width=* (to specify the width of the path on the ground) or maxwidth:physical=* (to specify the maximum physical width of a vehicle that fits through) on it (but not maxwidth=*, as that implies that there is a legally defined limit).

While not widely used, you might also use access tags with :physical suffix, e.g. motorcycle=no + motorcycle:physical=yes

Cheers,

Thorsten