[OSM-talk-be] representation of "bebouwde kom" and zone 30/50/70

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 10:51:27 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Lennard wrote:
> Patrick Weemeeuw wrote:
> > What is the proper way of representing such areas? I don't find any
> > documentation, but in the map I find areas like:
>
> landuse=residential on an area? But even that isn't perfect, since
> with the 'lintbebouwing' those residential areas stretch far outside
> the bebouwde kom.

landuse=residential is just used where there are houses, not necessarily
a bebouwde kom.

I think we may need some new way of tagging, when doing the
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Access_restrictions
page I was thinking along the lines of a normal maxspeed=50 (or 30 is a
few cases) access relation with a special tag zone=yes or
zone=built_up_area. And then add all roads in it to the relation (and
this also leaves the possibility to override the maximum speed on the
ways itself).

This way of tagging allows all zone signs that popped up recently:
parking restrictions, zones that don't allow vehicles over 3.5tons etc.

Now if only we could work out that proposal :-)

But for now, indeed the only possible option is to add maxspeed=50 (or
another speed if F1 has speed limit above it) to all roads in it.

Ben