[OSM-talk-be] #equalstreetnames

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 19:30:58 UTC 2020

Hello Seppe

thanks a lot for sharing this information.
I do like the project (despite my comments on obtaining the data
before the start) because:

- it uses my 2 favourite crowd-sourced open data projects
- it really requires both projects to create the map
- Open Street Maps (sic) is not only used as background nor for navigation
- it brought together 60 people. I do hope they will somehow continue
to contribute to OSM and/or Wikidata
- It gave OSM and Wikidata some publicity

As for the criticism on participating in an event that tries to gather
data on gender inequality in street names.
I do not see any political statement in that. After all, OSM and
Wikidata are very natural sources for such events, as, you might have
guessed it, are open data. If one makes a political statement with
that,  mapping bicycle parking could be seen as supporting anti-car
policies as well.

I assume mappers are often activists or at least passionate for
certain features, be it slow roads, airfields, AEDs, historical
buildings, power infrastructure etc. We are often open data and open
source activists as well.
Recently, on the tagging mailing list, you see requests for tags to
map free drinking water, free refills, object sharing, food sharing,
etc. All those are somehow driven by activism. Is that wrong? Not in
my opinion, it enriches the OSM project. If we would only try to mimic
Google Maps by focussing on navigation and shops (for advertising), we
could as well stop now.

So thank you for setting up the project and let's hope it will hellp
OSM grow further in the future.

regards

m.