[Talk-ca] Canada data source

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 01:46:49 BST 2008

I think it was Steve & who mentioned about it.
I asume every one has downloaded and is using the free ibycus topo map
of Canada.
All roads and road names are in there and came from the canadian gov.
data set. Lakes are in there too, check mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com
every so often as more people are making and sharing maps....
What we can do is use that as a base.
Moterbike riders do long distance tours, by now, any ADVrider should
be using his map. these guys will go the distance, i dont think it
will be long before more users start popping up.

Using the ibycus topo squares as an outline, so once OSM Canada can be
defined as these squares.

Maybe a program can be made to automaticaly check and update the
entire map (all squares off the map) each week. (kinda like the global
cycle map)

And yes thank you, my question about the railway answered it... as
well as sub questions.

As OSM grows and developes, paper map makers will see the value here,
(hopefully)

Any thoughts on mapguru.com OSM integration? (lots of tracks have been
posted, since its wiki, others can lable it, but this site (as i can
see) does not stamp the tracks as roads/trails.
Using google earth  in a window net to firefox explore is good enough
to trace with :)
Sam
--
*****