[Talk-ca] OpenAerialMap for geoBase Data? Yahoo! Image 2006 i-cubed?

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 02:53:22 BST 2008

Hi,
Im trying not to beat a dead horse... its not dead yet.. ;)
Thanks James & Corey as well as Dale for giving a bit more insight.

Looking at the OSM cycle map, i see that topo information IS there, so thats
cool.
Im looking at OpenTopoMap.. and see that it does ask for what attribution to
be added. .. So im guessing that GeoBase could be added in there with the
source?

.. As GeoBase also holds satalite imagery.. that got me wondering, as now
there is GeoBC... (i read i the paper about how they gave Google Earth the
ability to use that.. but i dont know details.
http://aardvark.gov.bc.ca/apps/gga/detailHome.do?action=showGoogleEarthPage>
looks like thats a whole lot of info.. not really sure how it relates
GeoBase.. humm.

But more importantly:
Now im using Kosmos (its on the main wikiOSM page as the feature) .. and it
has the option to view the map with satalite imagery... from  Landsat (from
Nasa)... so thats wild. ... makes it ALMOST like google earth :). ..
The other option Kosmos gives is to download from OpenArealMap.org ..
Which looks very similar to opentopmap. ..
My guess is that once it gets bigger it would be added as an option for OSM.

Noting about how on OSM we are using Yahoo!'s areal maps.. and we need to
show the Yahoo! icon at the bottom corner... thats no different than showing
the GeoBase logo (or just the text GeoBase.. and thats the attribute that
yahoo wanted,.. and got.
*
So .. if we can have Geobase's data for free, as long as we show the
attributes...  data onto OpenAerialMap.org and OpenTopoMap.org that could
help... as one way around this delema. ..*

yep, just checked.. the Ibycus topo's map reference is the same. So the free
OSM Atlas could have that.. its fine to have GeoBase as its source. (from
the books prespective)

http://www.geobase.ca/geobase/en/browse.do?produit=imr&decoupage=image&map=canada

and hey, every image, thing always has some kind of relation attached...
otherwise how will anyone know where the info came from? .. an entity or
company to bug if you see errors or want to see if there is a new image
which would be better.

Hopefully this lifts some more rocks.

Go OpenSource!, it rocks :)

Sam